With increased energy costs, it’s likely that you might be keeping windows closed to keep the heat in, drying clothes on a clothes horse indoors instead of using a tumble dryer or taking hot showers instead of baths.
All of these activities mean increased levels of moisture and condensation in the home. That can be particularly bad in cold weather as our homes are warmer inside and the outside air is colder, leading to condensation. Typical signs of condensation are:
• Moist wall surfaces
• Mould growth on walls
• Water staining and streaking on walls
• Patches of damp with no obvious edges.
Read our Damp, Mould and Condensation Policy.pdf [222KB].
Take a look at this Energy Saving Trust video on how to manage condensation.
To help prevent condensation from building up in your home:
• Keep your home warm by maintaining a low level of heating throughout the day
• Keep your house ventilated. Use the trickle vents on windows, or open windows on opposite sides of the building for five minutes a few times each day. A little ventilation will reduce the moisture in the air without making your house cold.
• Put lids on pans when you cook, it will also reduce the energy use
• Use extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom & open windows when cooking or washing
• Wipe down the walls after a shower with a cloth or a squeegee
• Don’t use gas or paraffin heaters, they add a lot of moisture to the air
• Avoid drying clothes indoors, if you can.
You should always aim to treat and remove any mould early, as it's easier to remove before it turns black. Once treated:
• Paint over the discoloured area with an over-the-counter fungicidal product
• After treating mould-affected areas, redecorate using a fungicidal paint.
• Dry-clean mildewed clothes and shampoo mouldy carpets.
If you have allergies you can try a natural mould removal solution using baking soda and white vinegar.
Make a paste with the baking soda and vinegar. Spread it directly onto the mouldy surface and let it sit. After an hour, scrub the area with a hard bristled brush and wipe off the residue.
Rinse the area with soapy water, or use a vinegar-water solution to remove any remaining mould. Leave the surface to dry completely, and keep an eye on the area.
If the mould returns and becomes unmanageable, report it to our Customer Services Team at Habinteg Direct on 0300 365 3100