Gas safety in your home
Gas safety is very important and we are working hard to ensure that your homes are gas safe. We carry out a gas safety check in every single one of our homes once a year. We will give you notice of when our contractor will call, and be as flexible as we can around appointment times. It is essential that you allow us access to carry out the annual safety check to ensure the safety of your household and those around you.
Your Gas safety check
As of April 1 2019, all Habinteg gas safety checks are undertaken by a registered engineer from Robert Heath. The engineer will carry ID and should show this to you before entering your home. The engineer will:
- test the pipes between the gas meter and the boiler or heater for leaks;
- service all the gas appliances in the property that are provided by Habinteg
- check any gas flues in the property
- check all gas ventilation.
We will provide you with a gas safety certificate within 28 days of the inspection. The gas safety check and service will usually take less than an hour, although this will depend on the gas appliances in your home.
If you smell gas in your property
If you smell gas inside your home, you should:
- Immediately turn off the gas at the meter
- Open all doors and windows.
- Do not turn any electrical switches on or off
- Do not smoke or use a naked flame.
- Check to see if you have left any gas appliances on
- Go outside and call the National Grid’s 24-hour helpline on 0800 111 999.