We want Habinteg tenants and their families to be free from all forms of abuse. We’re committed to safeguarding everyone who uses our services or comes into contact with us.

Safeguarding is integral to all our work and we take it seriously. If you have any concerns, please contact Habinteg Direct by email: or call on 0300 365 3100.

You can also speak to the police about what happened to you by calling 101. If you’re responding to an emergency, contact emergency services by dialling 999.

If you’re concerned that a child or adult may be experiencing or is likely to experience abuse or neglect, and they’re not in immediate danger, contact your Local Authority – Adult or Children Social Care and take advice. You can locate the relevant contact details from your local authority's website.

You can also contact the NSPCC on 0800 800 5000 if you’re concerned that achild may be experiencing or is likely to experience abuse or neglect, and they’re not in immediate danger. 

If a child or adult is in immediate danger you should call 999.

It’s never too late to report a safeguarding concern or complaint. Some people find that reporting gives them a sense of closure and helps them to start moving on. You can contact us. We will listen. We will act.

How we tackle safeguarding concerns

As a responsible landlord, we have a duty to report all instances of abuse or suspected abuse.

We work in partnership with local authorities, child care agencies and adult social care teams and We have a policy and procedure in place for referring children, young people and adults at risk.

If you’re concerned about something you’ve seen or heard relating to a Habinteg resident, please contact us. If there is an immediate risk to a child, young person, adult or yourself, please call the Police.

Anyone raising a concern that a child or adult is being abused or neglected will be taken seriously and we will act promptly and appropriately.

What is safeguarding?

Adult safeguarding means protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect.

For children and young people, safeguarding means promoting their welfare, protecting them from maltreatment, preventing impairment of their health and development, and ensuring that they grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care.

What is abuse?

There are many different types and patterns of abuse and neglect and varying circumstances in which abuse and neglect can take place.

Abuse or neglect in relation to safeguarding adults includes:

  • Physical abuse
  • Domestic violence
  • Psychological abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Financial or material abuse
  • Modern slavery
  • Discriminatory abuse
  • Neglect or acts of omission
  • Self-neglect
  • Organisational abuse.

Abuse or neglect in relation to safeguarding children includes:

  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Emotional/psychological abuse
  • Neglect and/or acts of omission.

Other categories or specific acts of abuse and neglect may be categorised differently by other organisations and Habinteg is aware that abuse may also include, but is not limited to:

  • Online abuse
  • Child sexual exploitation
  • Female genital mutilation
  • Bullying and cyberbullying
  • Domestic abuse
  • Child trafficking
  • Grooming
  • Harmful sexual behaviour.

Who might abuse somebody?

Anyone can carry out abuse or neglect, including:

  • Spouses and partners
  • Other family members
  • Neighbours
  • Friends
  • Acquaintances
  • Local residents
  • Paid staff and professionals
  • Volunteers and strangers.

Abuse can happen anywhere e.g. in a tenant’s own home, in someone else’s home, in the street or even in an environment where it should be safe.

How does Habinteg work to safeguard people from harm and abuse?

We will work alongside other statutory and non-statutory organisations to prevent and stop both the risk and experience of abuse or neglect while respecting our tenants’ views, feelings and wishes where possible.

We will treat concerns in confidence, but we cannot always guarantee confidentiality. If you raise concerns, we may need to share the details with the local authority or other agencies in order for them to investigate further.

If you raise concerns regarding another adult which identify him or her as being at risk of harm or neglect, we may need to share the details with the local authority and other agencies in order for them to investigate further.

There may be occasions where we need to raise a safeguarding concern with the local authority, as other residents may be at risk or a crime may have been committed.

We will listen to you and signpost you to specialist organisations that can support you.

What if I’m concerned about myself or someone else?

If there is an immediate risk to a child, young person, adult or yourself, please contact the police.

You can raise a safeguarding concern directly with your local authority, which is the lead organisation in safeguarding.

You can report your concerns to a member of Habinteg staff. If the abuse is being carried out by anyone working for Habinteg, please ask to speak to someone in our Executive Management Team.

Organisations that offer support

Support for disabled people or people with mental ill-health
Action on Hearing Loss: 0808 808 0123 (telephone), 0808 808 9000 (textphone), 0780 0000 360 (SMS)
Royal National Institute for the Blind: 0845 766 9999
Mencap, 0808 808 1111,
Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90 (telephone), 08457 90 91 92 (textphone)
Sane Line: 0300 304 7000
Victim Support Line: 0845 30 30 900
Mind: 0845 7660163
Respond: 0808 808 0700

Older people
Action on Elder Abuse: 0808 808 8141
Age UK: 0800 169 2081

Women and children
National Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)
Refuge: 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)
Women's Aid: 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)

Support for children and teenagers:
The Hideout: A space to help children and young people understand domestic abuse.
NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
ChildLine: 0800 1111

Women and men
Rape Crisis0808 802 9999
National Stalking Helpline: 0808 802 0300
Your local Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

For men
Men's Advice Line: 0808 801 0327
Safeline: 0808 800 5005
Survivors UK Ltd: 0845 122 1201
Everyman Project: 0207 263 8884
MPower: 01603 622406

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people
Broken Rainbow: 0300 999 5428 (helpline), 0800 999 5428 (freephone)

Organisations that provide advise on trafficking
Forced Marriage Unit: 020 7008 0151
The POPPY Project: 020 7735 2062
UK Human Trafficking Centre: 0844 778 2406
Migrant Helpline: 01304 218 700
Kalayaan: 020 7243 2942

Local social services and local voluntary agencies (your local council will have contact details for organisations in your area)
Care Quality Commission: 03000 616161

Privacy notice for customers

Habinteg Housing Association is a controller of personal information for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and will treat personal data provided in line with GDPR legislation, for full details please read the Habinteg Privacy Policy.