Help paying your bills

If you're looking for help to pay your household bills, there are a number of government cost of living support packages for low-income households, pensioners and disabled people. 

You can also find out about discretionary housing payments and how to get help with your water bills. 

Cost of living payments in 2023

If you're disabled, a pensioner or receiving means-tested benefits, you're entitled to the government's cost of living packages.

These include:

  • A cost of living payment for people who get means-tested benefits including Universal Credit, Pension Credit and Tax Credits. There is no need to apply separately for this package. You will automatically be paid an additional three installments of £900 overall:
  • £301 paid in April and May 2023 for most people

  • £300 paid during autumn 2023 for most people

  • £299 paid during spring 2024 for most people


  • A disability cost of living payment is available to people who receive disability benefits. There is no need to apply separately for this package. Most people will be paid the £150 Disability Cost of Living Payment during summer 2023.


  • A pensioner cost of living payment is available for people who are born on or before 25 September 1957. This will be paid through the Winter Fuel Payment. Pensioners will get an extra £150 or £300 paid with your normal payment from November 2023.

Also, the household support fund is available from local councils to anyone who needs additional support this winter.

You don't have to be receiving benefits if you're applying for your council’s household support fund. Contact your local council to see the welfare assistance they are offering.

Visit the Help for Households website to find out more. 

Help with your water bills

If you need help to lower your water bill or help to pay your bill, CCW has a number of different support packages to help.

Go to the CCW website for more information.

Discretionary housing payment

If you receive housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit, but need more financial support with housing costs, you can apply for a discretionary housing payment through your local council.

These one-off payments are given at the discretion of your local council.

Find your local council. 

Household grants

There are many grants that offer support to households that are struggling.

For more information on how you access some of those grants, visit Turn2Us.