Help for disabled people

There are a number of disability grants and help that charities and the government provide to help people living with disabilities.

In this section, you should be able to find a grant from a charity that supports people with your disability. 

Universal support

A new voluntary employment scheme for disabled people and those with health conditions called Universal Support will be funded in England and Wales.

The government will spend up to £4,000 per person to find them a suitable role and cater to their needs, supporting 50,000 places per year once fully rolled out.

Grants for people with physical disabilities

Bader Trust Grant

  • If you have a physical disability, the Bader Trust offers grants to help you reach a personal goal. The grant can go to education services or equipment. 
  • A doctor, or a social worker, or a Citizens Advice referral must support your apllication. 
  • For more information and to start applying, visit the Bader Trust website or call 01225 865172. 


Reach Bursary

  • If your child has upper limb differences such as being born with one arm, the Reach Bursary provides money to cover the cost for specialist equipment, adaptations or additional training.
  • For more information, visit the Reach Bursary website or call 020 3478 0100.


Barchester’s Charitable Foundation

  • If you're an adult with a physical disability, the Barchester’s Charitable Foundation has a grant to help you buy or update outdoor mobility equipment.
  • A doctor, or a social worker, or Citizens Advice must support your application. 
  • For more information, visit the Barchester's Charitable Foundation website or call 0800 328 3328.

Grants for older disabled people


If you're over 65, disabled and struggling to buy food, Depher can purchase and deliver food direct to your front door. They may also be able to help with your gas and electric.

To get help from Depher, you need to complete a short form which is available on the Depher website.

For more information and any extra support, call 01282 420 678.

Grants for young people living with Ataxia

The Mark Dower Grant 

If you're a 16 to 30-year-old with Ataxia, you can apply for the Mark Dower grant. The grant money is to help you live independently. 

Check the Mark Dower Trust website for this year’s grant application openings or call 01992 572410. 

Grants for children and young people living with batten disease

If someone in your household is living or has lived with Batten disease, the Batten Disease Fanily Association can provide you with small grants. 

Visit the BDFA website to find out more about the grant or call 07354 486586.

Grants for people living with cerebral palsy

If your child has cerebral palsy, the Cheyne Charity may be able to help you get specialist equipment.

Get support from a professional such as a physiotherapist or doctor in your apllication.

Visit the Cheyne Charity website to find out more or call 01444 450 901.

Grants for people living with motor neurone disease

Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA)

If you're living with motor neurone disease, the MNDA can help provide financial support. The fund aims to help you live independently and access healthcare.

A doctor or other health professional must write your application on your behalf.

Also, if you have motor neurone disease and are struggling with the cost of living, MNDA is offering an emergency grant. This application will be reviewed in December 2022.

Visit the MNDA website to find out more and download an application form or call 0808 802 6262.


Grants for people living with cystic fibrosis

Cystic Fibrosis Trust

If you're living with cystic fribrosis and experiencing financial hardship, you can apply for a grant from the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.

Also, the Cystic Fibrosis Trust are offering a one-off grant of £225 to people with CF in low-income households.

For more information about the grants, visit the Cystic Fibrosis website or call 0300 373 1000.

Grants for children living with primary liver disease

If your child is living with primary liver disease, the Ben Hardwick Fund is able to help with small grant towards the costs associated with the illness such as travel to hospital.

Your application must be written by a doctor or health professional. 

For more information, call 02087418499.

Financial support for people living with muscular dystrophy

If you have muscular dystrophy, the charity Muscular Dystrophy UK has financial support to help.

They have grants to fund mobility equipment like wheelchairs and scooters. They also have more support for people with muscular dystrophy on their website. 

If you would like more infomation, visit the Muscular Dystrophy website.