Anti-social behaviour FAQ

What is ASB?

ASB is legally defined as conduct:

  • that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to any person
  • capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to a person in relation to that person’s occupation of residential premises, or
  • capable of causing housing-related nuisance or annoyance to any person.

So, what is a hate crime/incident?

A hate crime/incident can be any criminal or non-criminal act which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by hostility or predjudice based on a person’s disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
A hate crime/incident could be an act such as graffiti, vandalism to a property, name calling, assault or online abuse using social media.

A victim doesn't have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime. 

The police can only prosecute when the law is broken but can work with Habinteg and other partners to try and prevent any escalation and we will work in a supportive manner and approach to seek resolution.

What is not classed as ASB?

Habinteg accepts that many neighbours will naturally have different values or opinions and sometimes this can cause problems. However, not all reports relating to behaviour that impacts on an individual can be deemed ASB. 

The following are some examples of reports that are not ASB:  

  • noise from children when they’re playing  
  • family disputes  
  • babies crying  
  • smells from cooking  
  • sounds of normal day to day living that we can hear such as opening and closing of doors, going up and down stairs  
  • one-off parties such as BBQs, birthday or Christmas parties providing they don’t cause an unacceptable disturbance  
  • clashes of lifestyle, including cultural differences  
  • minor personal differences 
  • putting rubbish out on the wrong day  
  • parking in the wrong bay

How do I report ASB to Habinteg?

You can fill out our online ASB report form here.

Who can I report criminal activity to?

Criminal activity can include:

  • drug related activities
  • assault, including violent or threatening behaviour
  • hate crime
  • criminal damage
  • theft

If you are in immediate need of assistance, or if a crime is in progress, then phone 999. Call 101 to report something to the police that isn’t an emergency, or report online. If you wish to report crime anonymously then you can report through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or report online.

If you make a report to the Police relating to criminal activity in your neighbourhood, please let Habinteg know that this has happened along with any incident/crime numbers.

What will happen to my tenancy if my home is used for criminal activity?

We take criminal behaviour in our properties and on our estates very seriously. If you a member of your household, or a visitor to your address are responsible for criminal behaviour you will be putting your tenancy in jeopardy.

We will assist the police with any investigations into criminal activity at any of our properties. If a person you are responsible for is convicted we may seek legal action to end your tenancy.

What is noise nuisance?

Noise nuisance is a common complaint. It can be difficult to manage due to varying tolerance levels and it can be difficult to evidence noise.

If your neighbour is playing loud music, we would encourage that you approach them in the first instance (providing that you feel safe to do so) and ask them to turn the volume down as it is disturbing you in your own home. If the noise continues we may ask that you complete diary sheets to assist us in building a case.

The Council have a duty to investigate if a statutory nuisance exists. If your neighbour is persistently playing music at an excessive level (regardless of the time) then please report this to your local authority’s Environmental Health team.


What is acceptable noise?

We expect there be some tolerance to noise levels between neighbours, particularly for those living in flats.

Noise such as:

  • babies crying
  • toilets flushing
  • washing machines/tumble dryers
  • vacuuming
  • dog barking
  • children playing
  • snoring
  • walking on floorboards

are unlikely to be a breach of tenancy (except in exceptional circumstances).

What time can I play music until?

There are no set times for when music can be played at any particular volume. Noise is measured against reasonableness and the nuisance it causes to others. This can occur at any time of day or night.

Who else can help?

Other useful sites

ASB Help

Victim Support


Useful numbers

Age Concern – 0800 009 966

Childline – 0800 1111

Crime Stoppers – 0800 555 111

Domestic Violence Hotline – 0808 200 0247 (24 hour)

NSPCC – 0808 800 5000

Parentline Plus – 0808 800 2222

RSPCA – 0300 123 4999 (24 hour)

Women's Aid – 0808 200 0247