Fire safety in the holiday season | Tenant news and updates

Fire safety in the holiday season

With all that’s happening around the festive season, it's important not to forget about fire safety in the home, as this time of year often brings additional fire risks.


Keep your home safe

• Smoke detection is the first line of defence against fires. Test your smoke alarms regularly (at least once a month), if any of your detectors are faulty please contact Habinteg Direct to arrange for the fault to be repaired

• Keep clothing and other objects, such as decorations, away from fires, electric heaters and vents

• Make sure that all your electrical appliances are in working order, and replace any frayed cords or broken plugs

• Be careful with candles, tea lights and incense – never leave them unattended and use stable, heat-resistant holders.

 

Be sensible with smoking

• It's safer not to smoke inside

• Put cigarettes out carefully and make sure they're fully extinguished

• Never smoke in bed or anywhere else you may sleep

• Don't leave a lit cigarette or pipe unattended

• Use proper ashtrays and never throw hot ash into the bin

• Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.

 

Fairy lights

• Check the fuses are the right type (see the box for the maximum size of fuse you should use)

• If the bulbs blow, replace them with new ones

• Don't leave fairy lights on when you go out or when you go to sleep

• Don't let the bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, like paper

• Don't overload sockets – make sure you know the voltage limit.

 

Paper decorations

• Decorations made of light tissue paper or cardboard will burn easily, so don't attach them to lights or heaters. Always keep them away from candles, tea lights and incense, and never put them immediately above or around the fireplace.

 

Real Christmas trees

• Don't place a live tree close to a heat source such as a fireplace or heat vent

• Be careful not to drop or flick cigarette ashes near a tree

• Do not put your live tree up too early, or leave it up for longer than two weeks

• Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.

 

If you would like helpful tips on how you can keep your family safe all year round, contact your local Fire Service to arrange a free home fire safety visit. If you need any assistance, please contact your local Community Assistant or call Habinteg Direct.